Agenda and minutes

Member Development Steering Group - Monday, 21st June, 2021 5.00 p.m.

The Agenda for this meeting will be published 5 clear working days before the scheduled date of the meeting. The Minutes and Decisions for this meeting will normally be published within 9 working days following the date of the meeting.

Note: this does not apply to Scrutiny Working Groups or Scrutiny Commissioners meetings, please contact the relevant Scrutiny Officer for more information on the work programme for these Groups.

Venue: Council Chamber - Council Offices, Narborough

Contact: Democratic Services  0116 272 7638

Items
No. Item

1.

Notes of Last Meeting pdf icon PDF 134 KB

To approve the minuets of the last meeting held on 29th March 2021.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 29 March 2021, as circulated, were approved as a correct record.

2.

Budget Update pdf icon PDF 349 KB

To update Members on the Member Training Budget.

Minutes:

The Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer presented the budget update to members and advised that the remaining budget is £6,600 which is a healthy amount to move forward with. Members were advised that future expenditure for Licensing & Regulatory training and Scrutiny Workshops will be reflected in the next meeting.

3.

Members' Roles and Responsibilities pdf icon PDF 483 KB

For Members to review the role profiles and the skills and knowledge required for each role.

Minutes:

The Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer advised members that the document has been updated to reflect the roles and responsibilities following Annual Council on 25th May 2021.

4.

Update on Cllr. Mike Shirley's Induction

To verbally update Members on Cllr. Mike Shirley’s induction.

Minutes:

The Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer provided an update to members on Cllr. Mike Shirley’s induction. To date Cllr. Mike Shirley has been provided with his councillor email address and iPad and his profile has been created on the website.

 

Cllr. Mike Shirley has successfully attended his first two full council meetings as well as an online planning committee training session and looks forward to attending his first Planning Committee on July 1st.

5.

Personal Development Appraisal's Update

For Members to provide an update on any progress with the PDA’s and if any support is required from Democratic Services.

Minutes:

The Chairman requested an update from other members regarding the completion of the Personal Development Appraisals.

 

Cllr. Nick Brown expressed concerns surrounding the formatting of the PDA’s and that his fellow party members have struggled when completing the document. Cllr. Brown then questioned whether the formatting is something that needs to be discussed in the future.

 

The Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer advised members that the Democratic Services Team are available for guidance and support to members when completing the PDA’s.

 

Members were advised that the informal deadline for the PDA’s to be completed by would be before the next MDSG meeting on September 17th in order to allow feedback to be collected on the PDA’s for the meeting.

 

 

 

 

6.

Evaluation of Recent Courses pdf icon PDF 8 KB

Minutes:

The Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer updated members on recent courses that have been held. Members were advised that feedback from attendees of the planning training held on 27 May is still being collated.

 

Members were also advised that two members had attended external training sessions held by The Planning Advisory Service.

7.

Future Courses pdf icon PDF 8 KB

For Members to discuss subject areas to be incorporated into a training programme, including any briefings they would be interested in.

Minutes:

The Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer advised members of upcoming training sessions available including, a repeat of planning committee training for members who missed the previous session in May.

 

Members were advised that no requests had been received from members to be booked into the EMC training sessions and dates for Licensing & Regulatory training , and Housing, Homelessness & Affordable Homes training were yet to be confirmed.

 

Cllr. Nick Chapman suggested that officers look into providing ‘unconscious bias training’ as he felt as though that training was valuable having previously attended a session.

 

Members also requested that more training sessions focused on climate change should be looked into and provided.

 

Members expressed their concerns surrounding ongoing I.T issues being experienced and suggested that training sessions or guides on I.T and apps used such as modern.gov would be valuable for members.

 

Following discussion of this issue, members suggested that an item be added to the next agenda to discuss any I.T issues that any members have experienced.

8.

Items for Next Agenda

Minutes:

Items for next agenda:

 

·         Member Development Charter

·         Personal Development Appraisal’s update

·         Meetings that can be held virtually.

·         I.T Update

9.

Date of Next Meeting

·         Monday 27th September 2021

Minutes:

·         Monday 27th September 2021.