Agenda and minutes

Member Development Steering Group
Monday, 22nd October, 2018 5.00 p.m.

The Agenda for this meeting will be published 5 clear working days before the scheduled date of the meeting. The Minutes and Decisions for this meeting will normally be published within 9 working days following the date of the meeting.

Note: this does not apply to Scrutiny Working Groups or Scrutiny Commissioners meetings, please contact the relevant Scrutiny Officer for more information on the work programme for these Groups.

Venue: Brooks Room - Council Offices, Narborough. View directions

Contact: Democratic Services  0116 272 7638

Items
No. Item

1.

Notes of Last Meeting pdf icon PDF 94 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 6 August 2018 were approved as a correct record.

2.

ICT - Office 365

Members will receive a presentation from the Head of ICT and the ICT Business Relationship Manager and will trial the Outlook email application from Office 365.

Minutes:

The Corporate Services Group Manager welcomed the Head of ICT and ICT Business Relationship Manager to the meeting. The Head of ICT gave a presentation of Office 365, the key points of which were:

 

·       Keeping up with recent changes in data protection legislation

·       Compliance with ICT security and the recommendations of the National Cyber Security Centre

·       Office 365 as a flexible solution for electronic mail and communications that can be installed via an App

·       Email communications can be accessed through the Cloud or via the Office 365 website

·       Members will be invited to training sessions in the near future to set up their devices and answer queries

·       The Corporate Policy for Information Security has been updated to comply and adhere with legislation

 

The ICT Manager advised that the project to introduce Office 365 as a primary means of electronic mail communication is being rolled out across the Leicestershire Districts ICT Partnership.

 

The Steering Group is starting the Office 365 trial before it is rolled out to all Members. The following members brought in their devices and were configured ahead of a two week trial:

 

·       Cllr. Chris Frost

·       Cllr. Bev Welsh

·       Cllr. Lindsey Dracup

·       Cllr. Chris Merrill

·       Cllr. David Findlay

 

 

 

 

3.

ICT 2019 - Members Working Group

Members are asked to consider setting up a Task and Finish Group to lead on ICT provision for all Members from May 2019 onwards.

Minutes:

The Chairman, Cllr. Chris Frost introduced the item and the Corporate Services Group Manager provided Members with key points:

 

·       Members have requested a review of the ICT provision for the 2019 intake

·       There has been a proposal to have iPad’s purchased for which a proposal will be required to be submitted to Council from this Committee

 

The Corporate Services Group Manager requested Members to form a Working Group to look into this proposal in more detail, which would include the lead member for Corporate Services – Cllr David Freer.

 

The following Members volunteered to take part in a review of ICT kit in more detail:

 

·       Cllr David Freer

·       Cllr Chris Frost

 

·       Cllr David Findlay

·       Cllr Ben Taylor

 

·       Cllr Bev Welsh

·       Cllr Phil Moitt

 

Members agreed that a date would be agreed for the Working Group to meet in November 2019.

4.

Draft Member Induction Programme pdf icon PDF 186 KB

For Members consideration and feedback, the draft Member Development Programme 2019/2020  has been enclosed.

 

Minutes:

The Chairman, Cllr. Chris Frost welcomed the Senior Democratic Services Officer to present the Draft Member Induction Programme.

 

The Senior Democratic Services Officer asked Members to consider the recommendations into consideration of the draft member induction programme; of which the key points were:

 

·       The Draft Member Induction Programme should be completed in time for consideration by the Candidates and Agents meeting on 1 March 2019

·       A number of the modules will be compulsory for Members to complete

·       The provision of training courses via an e-Module to allow Members to complete learning in their own time

·       The “Meet the Services” event was not well attended in 2015 and has been merged with the “Code of Conduct for Members”

·       That some of the training events are made mandatory for the new intake

 

The Senior Democratic Services Officer also provided an update on the Buddy System to help newly elected Members in their role as a Councillor.

 

The Chair gave positive feedback about his experience of the Buddy System for the 2015 intake, and that this would be equally beneficial for the new intake in 2019.

 

Members noted that the level of turnover at the 2015 intake was much higher than normal, and it was commented that for the first year of the new term more experienced Members should be appointed to the Planning Committee.

5.

Exit Survey for Councillors pdf icon PDF 114 KB

That the Steering Group consider the proposed Exit Surveys for Members pre 2015, and those that were elected in 2015,  and provide feedback on these.

Minutes:

The Chairman, Cllr. Chris Frost asked the Senior Democratic Services Officer to present the Exit Survey for Councillors.

 

The Senior Democratic Services Officer presented the Exit Survey for Councillors for the 2015 intake of Members. The survey will be distributed to Members online.

 

Members commented that the Exit Survey is comprehensive and covers a broad range of questions.

6.

Budget Update pdf icon PDF 193 KB

Minutes:

The Chairman, Cllr. Chris Frost introduced the Budget Update and the  Senior Democratic Services Officer provided Members with key points:

 

·       That the Budget is looking very healthy

·       The Budget will be put towards the induction for new Members in 2019 including the provision of external training

7.

Evaluation of Recent Courses pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Members are asked to consider the recent evaluation feedback, including the Value for Money and Return on Investment.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman, Cllr. Chris Frost introduced the item and asked the Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer to provide an update:

 

It was noted that:

 

·        The comments received from evaluation forms are positive

·        The Value for Money and Return on Investment evaluation provided Members with a score for each training session and whether it was rated as value for money

·        The number of Members completing the 3 month evaluation is at the highest level since 2016

·        The ‘Chairing and Effective Meetings’ member training event did not meet the Value for Money and Return on Investment, as it was provided externally and the attending Member did not give feedback to meet the ‘Quality’ and ‘Applying Learning’ ratings

8.

Future Courses pdf icon PDF 116 KB

Minutes:

The Chairman, Cllr. Chris Frost introduced the item and asked the Democratic & Scrutiny Services Officer to provide Members with an update on future courses.

 

It was noted that the training to provide Members with an overview of the following:

 

·        The Role of Environmental Services & Environmental Health will be delivered on 7 November 2018

·        The Planning Masterclass – Environmental Considerations training will be delivered on 21 November 2018

9.

Schedule of Meetings pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

It was noted that the Schedule of Meetings be taken to the next meeting of Member Development Steering Group on 25 February 2019 for consideration.

 

10.

Items for Next Agenda

Minutes:

·        Draft Induction Programme for New Member Intake

11.

Update on Prospective Councillor Event

Minutes:

The Senior Democratic Services Officer advised Members that the Prospective Councillor Event will be taking place in the Council Chamber on 27 October 2018.

 

The Prospective Councillor Event will be held jointly with neighbouring local authorities Charnwood Borough Council, Oadby and Wigston Borough Council, North West Leicestershire District Council and Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council.

 

Members were advised that there are further Prospective Councillor events being held around the County during November and Blaby District Council will be holding another event in January 2019 with a date to be confirmed.

 

12.

Date of Next Meeting

·       25 February 2019

Minutes:

·        25 February 2019